How to Help
Can you provide a foster home to a kitten, cat, puppy, dog, or bunny? If so, please visit our page on fostering.

2. The City of Torrance has a small animal control office, in Wilson Park.  When possible, they will hold lost pets at the office to make it easier for residents to reclaim them.  (When pets can’t be held at the office, they are taken to the Los Angeles County facility in Carson.) Can you help Torrance Animal Control by donating pet food or supplies for the lost pets in their care? They need:

  • Dog food, both dry and canned (prefer Iams or better quality)
  • Cat food, both dry and canned (prefer Friskies or better quality)

They prefer small cans to large cans, to reduce waste. Donations can be delivered directly to the animal control office, a modular office located at 2200 Jefferson St. (near the tennis courts in Wilson Park, on Crenshaw Blvd between Sepulveda Blvd and Torrance Blvd).

3. Make sure your animals always wear visible identification, and follow all laws.  Talk with your veterinarian about getting your animals microchipped as a backup form of identification, and keep the microchip record updated with your current contact information.
4. When you see an animal-related matter, or need an animal-related service, in the City of Torrance, please call the City of Torrance Animal Control Office at (310) 618-3850.  Please call 9-1-1 when there is a threat to human life.

5. Volunteer for the City of Torrance Animal Disaster Team. For more information or to request an application, please visit the City of Torrance website or call (310) 618-5725.

6. Recycle to help Friends of Torrance Animals: take recyclable bottles, cans, and paper to the Palos Verdes Recycle Center, 26301 Crenshaw Blvd, Rolling Hills Estates, CA 90274, and ask them to credit the proceeds to Friends of Torrance Animals. For proper credit, be sure to tell them that your recyclables are for Friends of Torrance Animals before they start to sort and weigh the materials.  The Recycle Center is directly across the street from the South Coast Botanic Garden.  They are normally open Wednesday through Saturday, 8 AM to 4 PM; their phone number is (310) 375-6094. 

7. Make a donation to Friends of Torrance Animals.  Donations are tax deductible as allowed by law.  Make checks payable to Friends of Torrance Animals.  Please make a note if your donation is for the Adopt-a-Classroom program ($33 per classroom,
click here for more information).

8. Contact a member of the Torrance City Council regarding animal control. If you have been reunited with your lost pet through Torrance Animal Control, let the City Council know you appreciate having this city-based program, and appreciate their efforts to "return in field" rather than having your pet taken to the LA County facility in Carson. If you have had an experience with the LA County facility and think Torrance can do better, let our City Council know you wish Torrance had an animal shelter (
click here for more information).
9. Write a letter to the Daily Breeze regarding animal control (see below for more information).

Thank you for your interest.
How do I write a letter to the Daily Breeze?
To send a letter to the editor of the Daily Breeze, e-mail, or mail to Daily Breeze, Letters to the Editor, 21250 Hawthorne Blvd., Suite 170,Torrance CA 90503.  They prefer letters of 150 words or less, and letters must be signed and include an address or phone number for verification.  Each letter is important for letting them know what readers think.  They print very few letters, so do not be discouraged if your letter is not chosen for publication. 
Please do not send anonymous letters.  The Daily Breeze has a policy against printing anonymous letters, and many others disregard them without reading them.

Some portions updated October 21, 2013